Change text size

A A A

Derek Twigg, MP for Halton

Working Hard for Widnes, Runcorn & Hale

Derek Twigg MP to support a week long Carbon Monoxide campaign this November

12 Nov 2013

Lynn Griffiths, the founder of the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity will launch the charity’s 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week at the House of Lords on Monday 18th November 2013.

Charity's 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week Aims:

1. Raise awareness about the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide.

2. To make the public aware: All hydrocarbon fuel (charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas, liquid petroleum gas/LPG) appliances need to be serviced every year.

3. Homeowners (with gas appliances) can apply for a "free gas safety check via their gas provider" if they are on a qualifying benefit.
 
4. To make the public aware: Their chimney needs to be swept once or twice a year.

5. Promote the charity's FREE Carbon Monoxide Android Phone App & NEW website.

6. To make sure the public understand a carbon monoxide alarm is "NEVER" a substitute for the correct installation or servicing of ANY gas, oil, wood or coal burning appliances.

7. Fit a carbon monoxide alarm in the "correct place."

The mother-of-four set up the charity over eight years ago, after she and her family suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning for over a decade.

“It is shocking  that despite living in the ‘information age’ people still don't realise that carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless highly toxic gas that can kill in under three minutes !!

Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of any hydrocarbon fuel e.g. coal, charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas and liquid petroleum gas (LPG). They still seem to believe that it's produced by just the incomplete combustion of "natural gas" and if they don't use natural gas or have a gas boiler they are totally safe. This just isn't true.
 
 “Poisoning can have a devastating effect and the more people are aware of the symptoms of exposure, especially at the initial stages, the more chance we have of preventing avoidable deaths or injuries.” Those poisoned by just low levels of carbon monoxide go on to develop long term chronic health problems.

People can help protect themselves by making sure they and their families have all their fuel burning appliances serviced every year. Their chimney swept once or twice a year and by installing a carbon monoxide alarm in the “correct place” in their home, caravan or boat.”
END

************

For more information contact your local MP (contact details) or Lynn Griffiths on 07715899296 or lynnCoAwareness@aol.com
Charity new updated website: www.co-awareness.org and www.covictim.org will go live from Monday 18th November.
The charity’s “free” carbon monoxide android phone app can be downloaded from: http://www.covictim.org/tiki-index.php?page=appdownload
Some of those poisoned by carbon monoxide can be heard here: http://covictim.org/tiki-index.php?page=COAwarenessWeek2010

 

 

Back to Newsroom
Hosted & designed by soVision Ltd at Avon House, Avon Mill Lane, Keynsham, Bristol BS31 2UG.